Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Smoke Signals

I was recently in Halifax, working on a project with my dearest friend, Carey.

The end result was this lovely book on correspondence between our two fair cities, Toronto and Halifax. We called the project Smoke Signals. We sold the book and a correspondence package as well as other crafts at the Halifax Crafters fair, which was a lot of fun and really well-attended. Thanks for the support, Halifax!

I'm someone who has moved around a lot in my adult life, and I spend a lot of time thinking about cities, comparing them and reflecting upon my various lives and personas I adopt in each city. I once had a friend say he didn't see any difference between cities, that all big cities were the same. I completely disagree, since cities are like people. They each have their own unique vibe; have different personalities. The purpose of this project was to try and capture some of that. Things that we loved (and hated) about our cities.

We also started a website for the project, which you can find here. If you'd like to order a copy of the book, you can visit the website or email smoke.signals.please@gmail.com

No comments: