Monday, April 13, 2009

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

There's something comforting about making a list. It's the beginning of a task, and it always makes you feel like you're getting something done even when all you're really doing is organizing. You may get the list done, or, in my case, you may not.

I know people who love making lists more than they love their mothers. I do not. I like lists sometimes, and I love my mom most times. However, in an effort to do more writing, I've decided to try and do a weekly list on this blog. It could be about anything...I'm open to suggestions, the key is to just have things to line up and then you, dear reader, can knock them down.

Anni suggested I make a list of things I want to do this summer. Seeing as Toronto has been lovely lately, full of sunshine and my mood has drastically improved from the despair of last week, I thought, why the hell not.

Summer's one of my favourite seasons---I mean there aren't many to choose from, but it's got a few things going for it. Namely my birthday is in the summer (now that I'm older, it's not as exciting and maybe in a few years, I'll come to hate summer because of it) and because summer is the best time to be biking around and fruit generally tastes better when it's warm out.

So, here are some things I want to do this summer:

1) Learn to fix/build a bicycle. I recently went to a bike co-op an learned some very basic skills. Bike fixing is like opening a Pandora's box. There's always more to tune up.

2) Hang out on stoops more. Nothing says fun like hanging out on a friend's porch/stoop watching people while enjoying some cold brews. Maybe incorporate a board game or two.

3) Learn Spanish. Not necessarily a summer-related activity, more an attempt to get motivated to learn a new language.

4) Visit Chicago. I have a fascination with the city and what it offers. And not because of the Obamas.

5) Bike rides and picnics on Toronto Island. 'Nuff said.

6) Hang out in parks and drink beer. Reasons to do this are similar to #2, but add in frolicking dogs and amateur baseball, and it's bliss.

7) Go back to New York and enjoy the city in all its sweaty, sticky, stinky glory.

8) Visit friendlies in Halifax and go biking to a lake. Jump in and bask in nature's grandeur.

9) Play Bocce ball and croquet.

10) More S.T.

That's it. A rather do-able list, I'd say.



*If you are really curious about #10, e-mail me.

**If you're really, really curious about whether I've accomplished this list, ask me in the fall. I may lie.

No comments: